Author Topic: Keyboard keeps resetting to US  (Read 17821 times)

yarmouthshipping

• View Profile
Keyboard keeps resetting to US
« on: September 30, 2011, 03:33:14 AM »
I have installed this great bit of kit but it keeps resetting to US keyboard i am in the UK i change in settings it says reboot i do and it is still US keyboard.

Any help please

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard keeps resetting to US
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi, we have identified it as a bug.
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

yarmouthshipping

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:44 AM »
Any timescale for an update so i can fully evaluate the software

Thank you

Simon

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
To fix it, it is a little involved. To help us prioritize tasks for a new release, can you let us know why it is so important for you to have it fixed? What is the exact problem that prevents you from using YouWave? Basically, do you have a workaround?

FedericoA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
I agree with Yarmouth: keyboard settings are important. I'm using an italian keyboard, which layout is completely different from the american one. I've bought YouWave to run whatsapp on my pc and be able to speak with my wife who lives far away from me. I can't use punctuation properly: everytime Ihave to figure out where the questionmark is and where the comma... It's quite annoying. And this is just an example: many apps uses keys that can't be easely found on a different keyboard layout.
Workarounds? sure, I can use the mouse to select the keys from the on video keyboard, but well, having 100+ nice keys on my keyboard and being forced to use the mouse is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for thinking at it. It's not a high priority bug, but still quite annoying.

Regards,
F.

stonee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Dear Youwave-Team

I'm evaluating YouWave. I think you really did great work. It's fast and works fine.
I'm considering buying it.

BUT:
Using different keyboard-layouts is really important. Me f.e., I'm from Switzerland (german-speaking). And in German, we need the characters ä, ö, ü VERY often. And its not possible to produce them without annoying and very timeconsuming mouse use of the android-screen-keyboard... And also all special characters like punctuation marks ?!.,; and @ and so on...

I'm not able to set a Swiss German Keyboard Layout, neither a german one. This is really a major drawback.

I also found out that (it's also in another thread) it's not possible to exchange clipboard-content between windows and Youwave. This is also something, which makes it very hard and uncomfortable to work with youwave...

I will buy your product anyway, but please, could you consider fixing these issues soon. I'm not the only one who thinks like that, as I found out.

Keep on the good work, have a nice day! greetings!

daniel, zürich, switzerland

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
Thanks for pushing us on this issue.

Studying the keyboard layout at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout ...

stonee

• View Profile
International (Latin) Keyboards in New Version
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:44:46 AM »
Thanks for your efforts.

Will there be general international keyboard support in the near future?
Please...! Or at least for latin keyboards.
(btw. why can't you use this function of the android-os? or did you modify and recompile the android-os-sourcecode?)

I and other users would greatly appreciate that, I'm sure!

Keep on the good work, best regards

daniel

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
<why can't you use this function of the android-os? or did you modify and recompile the android-os-sourcecode?

We do modify and recompile the android OS source.

We have write some customized code to fully support international keyboard layouts.

stonee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Thank you for your quick answer.
That at least gives me an idea of the dimensions of the problem.
Could you maybe use some Windows API for getting the correct key the user pressed? Maybe you want to have a look at that (ActivateKeyboardLayout):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646289%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Fostering the importance of this issue once again:
I think you address international customers, therefore you really should take this problem for serious and prioritize its solution!
Typewriting - which you agree is a totally basic and really important function for >ouwave - is way too hard like this. At some point, customers will stop using your program if it stays like that...

And could you let me know, If you soon take care of the problem and when there will be - hopefully - a new version with international (at least Latin) keyboard support?

Thank you very much!

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »
Hi all,

I would like to express my feedback as well on this.

I'm also using italian, french and german keyboard layouts and therefore letters with accents (à, ò, ù, etc) and umlauts (ä, ö, ü)
are very imporant! Of course the softkeyboard in the android phone itself gets setup correctly.. however this doesn't really help since everybody of us wants to use the native computer keyboard which right now only supports en-US apparently...

Would be nice to know at least a horizon of when you think this issue might be addressed.

Thanks and keep the good work,
Don

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
stonee,

For your Windows API pointer, thanks.  YouWave is written in a portable environment. We have mostly avoided Windows native APIs. This enables us to port the program to Mac, to Linux in the future. Thanks for stressing the importance of this issue. Without you and others' feedback, we would not know how important it is. Since we receive all kinds of requests everyday, sometimes it is hard for us to distinguish real important and common ones from some rare requests. A little disclosure here, we have at least 40 identified improvements.

We cannot guarantee a date yet. But let's shoot for two weeks from now for at least one language first. After that, it should be very easy for some other language. We will do German first.

BTW, this actually preempts some of other priorities, but that is fine and should be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:29:00 PM by YouWaveAdmin »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »
Hello Admin,

Thank you very much!!! We do really appreciate your efforts on this! 
Even if not everybody answers this thread I'm sure they will all appreciate a fix on this...

Looking forward to the upcoming version! :-))

Kind Regards,
Don

stonee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »
Dear Youwave-Developer Team, dear other posters

Thank you very much for your answer and your efforts!
I also greatly appreciate this. A German keyboard layout would be really nice, although this also slightly differs from the swiss variant. But I'm patient for new versions / improvements.

concerning Windows-APIs: good point... But aren't there similar OS/API-Functions in different Operating Systems?
So you could just write your own "Stub"-Procedure for getting the correct Key pressed and inside that - depending on the OS - use the OS-Specific function(s)? Of course then you still would have different source codes for different Operating-Systems. And if that is what you're trying to avoid, so...  ;)

Anyway, thanks once again. Looking gladly forward to a new version  :)

bye, wish all of you a nice day!

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

We have released our new version 2.2.0. It has support for several international keyboard layouts. Namely, they are:

American, Arabic(testing), Finnish, French ,German,Ireland,Japanese,Russian,Spanish(Latin America),Swedish,UK.

The Arabic keyboard layout is still under test. None of us here reads Arabic, so we need your comments.

By default, the layout is American English. To change the keyboard layout, following these steps:

1. Settings -> Language & keyboard -> Keyboard layout setting -> Select one.
2. Click "Back" a few times to return to Home
3. Close YouWave by shutting down Android.
4. Restart YouWave. Now you should have a new keyboard layout.

This is a new feature so we welcome your feedback.

Future works:
a) Able to auto-detect your physical keyboard layout and set it automatically.
b) Eliminate the need to shutdown and restart YouWave.
b) Support more varieties, like Swiss German(?).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:27:37 PM by YouWaveAdmin »