Author Topic: YouWave on Linux (Ubuntu)?  (Read 10841 times)

ePavel

• View Profile
YouWave on Linux (Ubuntu)?
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Good morning!

Did a quick search and could not found a simple answer on my question: Is it technically possible and also allowed to use/port YouWave under Linux?

As far as I could understand, you are running a sort of virtualization, so it should not be a problem to get it running on a Linux desktop installation like one of my current preferred one - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

PS: I'm a long time Linux user and prefer this OS to other commercial ones. Especially in cases when it is not absolutely necessary.

PPS: I know about Android emulator as part of SDK. But I'm looking for a simple solution to run on Linux Desktop applications I'm already using on my Android Froyo phone.

Regards,
Pavel.

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: YouWave on Linux (Ubuntu)?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
The answer is Yes. It is technically possible to port YouWave to Linux.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0

ePavel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:19 AM »
It is technically possible to port YouWave to Linux.

And the second part of the question, please (i.e. any licensing, politics or similar issues which would prohibit such a port) ?

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
No licensing, politics issues.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0

gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
I too would enjoy a linux version of youwave.  Preferably for debian(Ubuntu) systems.  It is my preferred OS and one i use most frequently therefore I am often log into my windows OS just to run the youwave app for a short amount of time before retreating to my cozy ubuntu OS.  I have tried using the android sdk and running that emulator; but it is a joke in comparison to youwave.  Youwave is clean, functional, and performs great.  It may not be worth your time to develop a linux (debian please) version, but it would certainly make my day.

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
As a matter of fact, developers of YouWave are hardcore Linux developers. We love Linux as much as all the other Linux fans. We breathe everyday in Linux. We have chosen to first release YouWave on Windows because Windows still has the largest user base. We think we have made the right decision.

Just to let you know that much of YouWave's code was written first on Linux platform and then ported to Windows.

We will continue to listen to our user requests and to make decisions on future platform release plans.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:14:28 AM by YouWaveAdmin »