Author Topic: Question regarding storage  (Read 1845 times)

Antigaprime

• View Profile
Question regarding storage
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
I noticed that my youwave_vm01.vdi file is getting quite large, and so I decided to do a cleanup of certain files inside youwave, most of all, pictures and audio files. The thing is I noticed that even after deleting files, the size of the .vdi file stays the same, even though youwave's system reports that there is 575mb of available space out of 784mb total space; that does not add up to the 479mb of the .vdi file. Internal storage also reports that there is 629mb of available space.

I would really like to know what's going on with the storage of data and why the .vdi is so large, even after erasing many files. If anyone can provide some insight it would be much appreciated.

locapanterarosa

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding storage
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:23:55 AM »
You need the tool CloneVDI
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22422

Important! in CloneVDI mark this options:
- Keep old UUID
- Compact drive while copying

Search in Google: "compact vdi clonevdi"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:26:35 AM by locapanterarosa »

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
The vdi file does not shrink its size by itself, even if you delete internal files from it. There are some tools to shrink it but we do not recommend that to non-tech savvy users.

The internal space and sd card space are separate.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0

abelsfc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
Would any way to at least limit the size of the .vdi file? Mine started at 200mb and today has reached 8gb. Free space in hd is less and less.
Thanks very much